Akuma-kun (悪魔くん Akuma-kun) is a manga series created in 1963 by the creator of GeGeGe no Kitaro, Shigeru Mizuki. It has seen several manga remakes, reboots, and spin-offs and was adapted to a live-action tokusatsu series, an anime series, and movies.
- Main article: List of Akuma-kun manga chapters
- Akuma-kun (1963-1964): The original rental manga, it was published by Tōkōsha and released in three volumes. It was originally planned to be five volumes, but the series was ended early due to poor sales. Akuma-kun's name is Ichirō Matsushita.
- Akuma-kun (1966-1967): A new manga was made in the wake of the 1966 TV series. It was published in Monthly Shonen Magazine and Weekly Shonen Magazine. The trade paperback was renamed Ganbare Akuma-kun. Akuma-kun's name is Shingo Yamada.
- Akuma-kun Returns: Millennium Kingdom (1970-1971): This manga was published in Shonen Jump and was intended to be a remake of the rental manga but with an actual ending. Ichirō Matsushita returns as Akuma-kun.
- Kitarō vs. Akuma-kun (1976): A one-shot crossover manga published in Monthly Shonen Jump featuring Akuma-kun and GeGeGe no Kitaro.
- Akuma-kun: Final War (1987-1988): This manga was published in Comic BE! and is a direct continuation of the original manga.
- Saishinban Akuma-kun (1988-1990): A modernized reboot of Akuma-kun published in Comic Bom Bom. Akuma-kun's name is Shingo Umoregi. This manga was the basis for the 1989 anime.
- The Great Prophet Nostradamus (1993-1994): A two volume graphic novel published by Tatsumi Publishing. It was based on the Armageddon predictions of the prophet Nostradamus. Shingo Yamada is the protagonist in this manga.
- Main article: List of Akuma-kun characters
1966 TV series
Akuma-kun was adapted into a live-action tokusatsu series by Toei Company. It aired from October 6, 1966 to March 30, 1967 on NET (TV Asahi), almost two years before the 1968 anime of GeGeGe no Kitaro. Akuma-kun's name is Shingo Yamada, who is portrayed by Mitsunobu Kaneko of Giant Robo (named Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot for its English dub) fame.
1986 TV movie
Akuma-kun was adapted into a live action TV movie by Toei Company, three years before the anime. It aired on September 15, 1986 as part of Fuji TV's Monday Drama Land, which also previously aired a TV movie adaptation of GeGeGe no Kitaro. Akuma-kun's name is Shingo Ito.
- Main article: Akuma-kun (anime)