Salaryman Shinigami was published in Big Comic from December 1, 1968 to April 1, 1969. It featured a Shinigami like the one who appeared in Kappa no Sanpei (and would later appear in GeGeGe no Kitarō) as it's protagonist. Although not stated directly in the series itself, some later infobooks have established him as a distant relative of the Sanpei character. The series was meant as a commentary on the hardships of a family whose father must move away for work.
Because of his poor performance at work, Shinigami 106 is ordered by his boss Enma-Daiō to take a job away from his family in the human world. He is given a year to collect 12 human souls and send them to Jigoku. The story follows his attempts to trick people into giving him their souls.
Like many other non-Kitarō stories by Mizuki, all chapters of the series were adapted into episodes of the 1971 Kitarō anime. The corresponding episodes are listed with the titles below.
- Shinigami's Invitation (Ep. 34: Shinigami and Satori)
- Autumn Leaves (Ep. 42: Shinigami and Binbōgami)
- The Tearful Quota (Ep. 45: Shinigami's Quota)
- Disappearance (Ep. 38: The Hidden Shinigami Village)
- Envy (Ep. 34: Shinigami and Satori)